Book Talk: Celest Pereira's - The Yoga Mentor
04:01
Starting out as a yoga teacher is tough. I for one, have always said to people..'why is there no guide for teachers?' I mean sure, there is stuff out there to learn as a teacher, all of the main texts and books that a yogi and teacher should be aware and have read, but what about guides for actually teaching?
A guide for actually instructing the practice?
Learning how to practice yoga is one thing, but learning how to teach it is another.
At this very moment, all I really want to do is expand. To expand my knowledge and understandings..what I would love more than anything is to go on training courses, and complete a second teacher training, but that just isn't possible for me right now ££ wise.
So, I am trying my best to research and learn as much as possible through online material, and of course, through books.
I came across Celest Pereira's Youtube Channel not long ago, I was immediately impressed by her unique position having studied physiotherapy & yoga...plus she is one of the only online yogis I have come across that actually talks about business and other aspects of a yogi life.
I remember watching some of Celest's videos and instantly felt like I was listening to a friend talk, plus she seemed to have lots of the same interests as me, plus..she was so OPEN and I loved that!
Also, I watched a controversial video Celest posted talking about hero pose and how she thinks it is no good for the knees. I for one really enjoyed listening and learning through this different perspective that Celest had to offer on this subject - offering an alternative fitness professional point of view.
Needless to say when Celest's book - The Yoga Mentor..a guide for new yoga teachers was released I was eager to have a read.
This book is written in my favourite style - real talk, with this style I can read effortlessly and truly understand what I'm reading - I read this whole book in one go, I know its a short book but still, I usually find it very difficult to stay focused when reading.
Anyways, the book is split into sections where Celest talks about everything from finding venues to teach, delivering good classes, to the importance of creating a business, no-matter how un-yogi you may find this to be ( I personally agree with Celest in that I love the practice of yoga and sharing it, but this shouldn't mean that I should be stressing about paying the bills and when I can do my next food shop because of this!)
My favourite sections were those where Celest comments on finding your micro-niche and in turn discovering your inner teacher. I feel that this in particular is something that I am working through, and that all new yoga teachers face.
I absolutely loved this book, and have already gone back to it twice to make notes on things to work on during the week, or to add into my new business.
This is the kind of book that I know I will be constantly be referring back to and I would highly recommend it to any newly qualified teachers.
I hope to be able to attend one of Celest's London Workshops in the future, but for now I'll try and learn as much as possible from following some of the steps in this book.
Love,
Atlanta

0 comments